Tyr Anasazi

Thoughts and questions about the various Andromeda characters.
banshee
Site Admin
What is 2 + 5?: 0

Tyr Anasazi

Post by banshee » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:14 am

I've been thinking recently about poor Tyr Anasazi.

I've been buying a lot of 8x10 photos from eBay recently, and the last batch that I've bought (haven't got them in the mail yet!) have a few Tyr photos. I give them straight to my Dad because he absolutely LOVES Tyr. Both my dad and my boyfriend have always expressed an almost un-natural interest in having Tyr's body. Of course, I assumed this was exercise-related (and not sex-related).

Anyway.. it led me to thinking about his character. He used to be so rich in it. He was a warrior-poet, he distrusted (and dis-liked) other Nietzchiens - and he had no qualms saying so.

But gradually over Season 2 & 3 (mainly season 3) he just.. sunk. Completely. It hit me in TUM (The Unconquerable Man) when Gaheris Rhade gives his own speech about how Nietzchiens should have been warrior-poets and gods, and how they'd become petty criminals. Tyr wasn't like that to start with, but that whole episode made him out to be EXACTLY like that.

Was he only like that in TUM? Did his proximity to another Nietzchien lower his own values? He'd been on his own all his life after his Pride was wiped out, so it's understandable that he held a grudge against the rest of his species. But here, in this alternate universe, he'd been in prolonged contact with one.

Part of me thinks that after the writers realised they had compeltely squandered the character of Tyr, they'd gone ahead and intergrated him into Gaheris for a final episode (and then, of course, chopped bits of him into Telemachus).

*shakes head* I don't know what to think, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

mizor
What is 2 + 5?: 7

Post by mizor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:58 am

Don't forget that by season three the original staff who had been guided by Mr. Wolfe was gone, replaced by new members and headed by Mr. Engles who had his own vision of what Andromeda was and where it should go. Sadly his vision and Mr Wolfes were not very similar

banshee
Site Admin

Post by banshee » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:34 am

I know. Writers & directors change. It's just saddening that they had a good thing and just completed turned it out on it's a$$.

:(

mizor

Post by mizor » Tue May 01, 2007 4:01 am

Season three nearly caused me to stop watching the show. I only came back mid season 4. I wonder if the folks who made the decisions about the show really had a good idea who was actually watching the show.

MistyQue

Post by MistyQue » Sun May 13, 2007 2:45 pm

i have a friend who's also crazy about Tyr (typical for her lol)
i actually started liking Tyr in the 2nd season, but then the new writters just had to make him bad again....
forever in love with seamus harper

banshee
Site Admin

Post by banshee » Sun May 13, 2007 10:54 pm

I know. They'd just started getting Tyr perfected.. and then all of a sudden he reverts to the generic "bad guy". Ah well..

mizor

Post by mizor » Mon May 14, 2007 12:24 am

His characte did get wasted. He could have been an outstanding foil to Dylan. Each man thinking tat they wee right and the other one wrong.

banshee
Site Admin

Post by banshee » Mon May 14, 2007 1:29 am

As much as I love all things Rhade (Gaheris especially) it really does seem like they copied over Tyr's promising personality and put it into a new character.

Soon the Nearing Vortex is a shining example. I mean RHADE is lecturing Tyr on what it means to be Nietzschean! After we have Tyr giving his fellow Nietzscheans the brush off throughout the entire first two seasons because they've become nothing more than petty criminals, some other Nietzschean comes in and tells him that's he IS a petty criminal not worth of the title "Nietzschean".

MistyQue

Post by MistyQue » Mon May 14, 2007 4:47 pm

well Nietzsceans weren't goods guys from the start... i mean not all of them, but they did thought they were better than homo sapiens
forever in love with seamus harper

banshee
Site Admin

Post by banshee » Mon May 14, 2007 10:34 pm

See, I'm not entirely sure of that. Although Nietzscheans are distrusted (and disliked) after the fall of the commonwealth, they weren't beforehand. They were a vital part OF the commonwealth.

True, they always thought of themselves as superior (which they were, genetically) but that sort of attitude was always laughed off by Dylan whenever Gaheris flaunted it in all those flashback episodes. Same with his original interaction with Tyr.

I guess they all had a lot to learn from each other.