Andromeda/Rommie a Re-watch inspired question

Thoughts and questions about the various Andromeda characters.
Ascendant Angel

Andromeda/Rommie a Re-watch inspired question

Post by Ascendant Angel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Bare with me here people I'm not sure how to word this or even if this is the right forum for this post.

Anyway. I've noticed something strange since the re-watch in the way I write about Andromeda/Rommie and I was wondering other peoples opinions on this, and how they chose to refer to the character.

See the thing is before the re-watch I was always very specific in fic and general discussion about referring to the three Anromeda's : The main frame was always Andromeda (or I'd refer to her as the main frame/core AI) Holo Andromeda was always the Andromeda hologram (or holo AI), and the Andromeda avatar was always Rommie.

I never referred to either the core AI or the holo AI as Rommie ever. This was important to me I felt all three were very much their own character and should be treated as such, Rommie even more so. While I acknowledged they all shared the same core personality and are all Andromeda, I saw them all as different sides of the same coin not copy's of the coin if you see what I mean.

However since the re-watch began I've notice something odd I've started using the names Andromeda and Rommie almost interchangeably. This puzzled me for a while because as I said it went against something that was before important to me. I think I might know why now though, and its not that I care about the characters less these days which I admit did cross my mind for a second.

No I believe the reason is this: In the first season and especially the first half of it Rommie (the avatar) having not been around long to have separate experiences from her core AI was/is at this point still very similar to her main frame core AI, the differences are there, but they are more subtle. Most of the things that happened to Rommie that made her 'Rommie' have not happened yet.

If I'd been active in Andromeda forums back at this point I might have been the same, but I was just a poor student or later newly qualified nurse with no access to the internet except at work, when I should have been looking after the sick kids.

So I guess what I want is to share my experiences and to know how you guys refer to the three Andromeda's, why, and has the re-watch changed this?

Sorry for taking such a long time to get to my point but I'm still so passionate about this show I cant seam to describe anything in less than 100 words.
Formally known as Rommie's Voice
Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/AscendantAngel come on you know you want to!

mizor
What is 2 + 5?: 7

Re: Andromeda/Rommie a Re-watch inspired question

Post by mizor » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:42 pm

When I'm writing in the Detour series I use Core, Logic and Rommie for the core AI, the holographic AI and avatar. In the Alternity series I use holo sister/self rather than Logic. The re-watch hasn't changed my perception of them as separate personalities.

Wrath of Achilles
What is 2 + 5?: 0

Post by Wrath of Achilles » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:42 am

They seem to build on the idea of three individual personalities as the series went on so there are inconsistent references, when the series started rommies/ Andromeda was one entity though multi faceted.
"The long night has come. The Systems Commonwealth the greatest civilization in history has fallen. Now, one ship, one crew have vowed to drive back the night and rekindle the light of civilization. On the starship Andromeda hope lives again"

Myriam Castro

Post by Myriam Castro » Wed May 13, 2009 12:51 am

Well ...
I 've always thought it was very strange that the Andromeda Ascendant didn't have an avatar before the Fall of the Systems Commonwealth ... you know, many other ancient ships - like the Million Voices, the Clarion's Call, the Pax Magellanica and more - had their avatars. So, why the Andromeda, as older as those ships, only got hers build by Seamus harper, 300 years after the Fall, when the Eureka Maru rescued Andromeda and Dylan from the event horizon? ...
"Let's bring it!" - Dylan Hunt

mizor

Post by mizor » Wed May 13, 2009 1:42 pm

I think there is a line in one of the eps where Andromeda's core self states that she simply hadn't wanted an avatar. Maybe Harper sweet talked her into wanting one?

banshee
Site Admin
What is 2 + 5?: 0

Post by banshee » Wed May 13, 2009 10:38 pm

mizor wrote:I think there is a line in one of the eps where Andromeda's core self states that she simply hadn't wanted an avatar. Maybe Harper sweet talked her into wanting one?
Hmm... I don't remember her ever saying that. I hope the re-watch shows us which episode that was!

Ascendant Angel

Post by Ascendant Angel » Thu May 14, 2009 4:47 pm

I seam to remember that too, but I've no idea which episode it might have been, time and re-watching well tell.
Formally known as Rommie's Voice
Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/AscendantAngel come on you know you want to!

mizor

Post by mizor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:27 am

How Harper convinced Andromeda to go for an avatar sounds like a good idea for a piece of fanfic by a Harper/Rommie shipper Yes I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but there are some good ideas here in theses threads and I'm mining them