Favorite Couple?

Your thoughts, questions & discussions about Andromeda Episodes for all seasons.
Sarela Jade
What is 2 + 5?: 7

Favorite Couple?

Post by Sarela Jade » Sat May 01, 2010 5:15 am

Hello, all! My name is Sarela Jade (but you can call me SJ) and I am fairly new to this forum, but not to Andromeda! :) I'm a very devout fan, and even through the crazy transitions throughout the seasons the show has managed to keep me completely hooked. It's so nice to find a group of fans who share the same interest in Andromeda! :D

I was just wondering what your favorite pairings are. With many crew members, it is easy to 'ship any character with another, which is part of the reason why the potential for fanfiction in this fandom is so great, I think. :D Here are my top favorite couples:

Dylan/Trance
They've ALWAYS been my #1 couple--I was never really in to Harper/Trance or Dylan/Beka or Dylan/Rommie... for some reason, Trance and Dylan's relationship just always drew me with, especially with the changes she undergoes in the seasons. And as she does, you can see so clearly how their trust and friendship grow and evolve, and I think they would be absolutely PERFECT together!

Harper/Beka
Call me crazy... but these two had me at "It Makes a Lovely Light" (season 1, episode... 21? I believe). The moment that made me a hardcore Harper/Beka fan was when Beka is already heavily addicted to Flash and Harper walks in on her after she's just had a dose--and how he is just SO concerned for her, and ESPECIALLY when he says her full name, "Rebekka..." I know, I KNOW, it is such a stupid thing to base your liking of a pairing on, but when he said her name like he did, it just made me realize how close they are, and how much they had suffered through already. I think Harper and Beka would also be HILARIOUS if they ever hooked up. Old married couple jabber? I think so. ;)

Harper/Rommie
I'm sure we all know that Harper is an evident flirt, and that Rommie an AI, and it would probably be VERY improper for them to even THINK about concocting a relationship... but I just can't help myself. I love the shameless flirting and the moves Harper attempts to throw at her, but Rommie, being an android and also in love with Gabriel, feels very reluctant to welcome his advances. :P Nevertheless, I think these two would be a stunning couple. Different than Beka and Harper, of course--it's like Rommie and Harper have this intense bond like no other characters do, and they connect so well because he created her, and they have that kind of closeness to share. :) Either way, it is my opinion that they'd be great together... and is it mildly pathetic that I can't decide between who I like Harper better with? :P

Anyway, that's all for now. I hope to hear everyone's thoughts on their favorite couples soon :D

mizor

Re: Favorite Couple?

Post by mizor » Sat May 01, 2010 10:23 pm

I'd say for Dylan/Trance it would depend on which Trance you were referring to. She changed her personality so many times during the show. Season 3 and 4 Trance might work wit Dylan.

I have trouble seeing Harper and Rommie staying together. Their personalities are just too different. I see love between them but I don't see 'in love' between them

Sarela Jade

Post by Sarela Jade » Sun May 02, 2010 1:01 am

Well, for Trance/Dylan, I tend to lean more towards S4 Trance. :)

And yes, I agree with your statement about Rommie and Harper--they could love each other, just not the kind of love you associate with say, husband and wife-type. :D Although I think their bond is unlike any other!

mizor

Post by mizor » Sun May 02, 2010 3:47 pm

The characters all seemed to care for one another. It was one of the things that kept me watching the show.

Pic

Post by Pic » Thu May 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Welcome, glad you joined us and thanks for starting such a great thread!!

When I first watched the show, I leaned towards being a Dylan/Rommie fan, so at the end of season 5 I was a little blind to the romance TPTB were trying to insert there. I still have a soft spot for them, but I'm a rabid multi-shipper these days (at least in this fandom) and have probably considered for every conceivable pairing between the main characters (with the exception of Rev).

So, I'll start with Beka (probably my favorite character). She's very shipp-able. ;)

Re-watching seasons 1 & 2 made me appreciate the nuances between Beka/Harper, but more in a sibling love kind of way. You point out a really good scene when she's addicted to flash - that and the forgiveness I imagine Harper gives her later for her actions is rather poignant. So I wouldn't be opposed to shipping the two of them, because I do see a lot of compatibility - but mostly I see a pretty deep friendship. Mostly. ;)

What I do see, however, are heavy doses of Beka/Dylan in the earlier seasons, before Dylan gets all righteous and when he's merely heroic. They jockey for control over the crew and over situations and then the trust slowly begins to build, it's rather romantic in a way. Excluding Sarah, they both have some pretty 'disposable' relationships, (Molly, Abel, Bobby, etc) but always end up back together with their "mission". Mid-season 3, Beka makes a comment about 'betting on the right horse' and I always imagine it's Dylan she's referring to. This is also repeated again at the end of season 4 when she talks about having poor choice in men - yet she chose Dylan.

Watching season 3's Unconquerable Man episode certainly has me thinking about Beka/G. Rhade and wondering what that AU was like. My recollection of seasons 4 & 5 is rather vague, but I do recall contemplating Beka/T. Rhade at several points. I'm interested to see if my opinion has changed.

The first time through, I liked Beka/Tyr but personally dislike what they've done with that storyline, so I kinda shun that pairing lately. When they finally put them together, I thought it rather offensive (if I recall correctly - my re-watch hasn't gotten that far yet).

I don't really 'ship' Trance with anyone. At least not seriously. Perhaps it's the inconsistencies in her characterization that mizor mentioned. I don't trust her and I don't entirely like her, either. I enjoy her character and am thrilled with what she adds to the story, I just don't see her remaining loyal to anyone enough to 'ship' her with anyone. I do think that Beka/Trance have some chemistry at moments. Also, in the AU-future thing where golden!Trance came from - she seems to have remained loyal to Beka for quite a long time. I think it had more to do with something Beka brings about than with loyalty/love/friendship, but still...

I have seen Beka/Rommie fic, and it was actually rather amusing and cute in after a fashion. Rommie has always been close to her captains and if something happens to Dylan, Beka would be the one she turns to. I can see this being a possibility. Not one I'm entirely jumping on board with, but I can see it.

Next character?

Ascendant Angel

Post by Ascendant Angel » Mon May 10, 2010 12:22 am

My favourite ship is Harper/Rommie mostly Harper and Rommie the avatar, but I've read some good Harper/Andromeda (the ship only) fics that got me thinking about this pairing. I'm not even sure Rommie/Harper is a sustainable pairing, but it would be so good while it lasted. Harper for all his displays contrary doesn't believe in himself, Rommie believes in him completely. Rommie deserves someone who will love her completely and that man is Harper. I may expand on this and perhaps present my own top ten shipper moments at a latter date.

My other ship is Beka/Tyr now that is a relationship that was always doomed to burn, but it intrigues me the most, Tyr felt he shouldn't be with her because she is human, yet the attraction is there and she exhibits all the qualities Tyr holds dear. Beka is strongly attracted to Tyr despite knowing that It would never be a healthy relationship. Their relationship would be explosive in both the good and bad ways. I believe my top ten Beka/Tyr shipper moments have already been released into the wild here.

Those are the only couples are actively ship, though I'm open to reading all pairings.

The only pairing I can't stand is Dylan/Trance it's pretty much always an unequal relationship and the fact that Dylan is supposed to protect s5 Trace just makes it 6 kinds of wrong kind and kinda like taking advantage of her, vise a versa for S4 Trance.
Formally known as Rommie's Voice
Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/AscendantAngel come on you know you want to!

Sarela Jade

Post by Sarela Jade » Mon May 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Aww, Ascendant Angel, it's so nice to hear that someone shares my love of Harper/Rommie :)
They truly are a lovable couple! And they would be so adorable. :D

mizor

Post by mizor » Tue May 11, 2010 3:36 am

AA I think your description of a Beka/Tyr relationship is right on the mark. But it would have made such good television.

I would have liked to seen the Dylan/Rommie relationship explored because there would have been so many possibilities for conflict and drama. The protocols against their relationship. Ageless avatar and mortal human. Dylan wants children but Rommie cant have any. Captain having to order his lover to certain death to save a critical mission. And so on.

I'm probably stating heresy but I liked Harper/Doyle. They had good chemistry together. I think that relationship would have had a better chance of lasting than a Harper/Rommie one.

Pic

Post by Pic » Thu May 13, 2010 7:53 pm

You have outlined your Beka/Tyr moments, AA - and I quite enjoyed them! It brought back a little of what I had liked so much about the pairing way back when.

I also think the Dylan/Rommie topics you point out, mizor, had a lot of potential.

All this talk makes my multi-shipping heart gleeful. :D

OK, I'm moving on to Harper next.

Like Beka, I can almost ship Harper with anyone (I may say that about every character - you've been warned). Although I'll stick with outlining the main cast - minus Rev, b/c I don't really ship Rev with anyone other than the Divine (or with other magog when I'm feeling dark and melancholy).

I mentioned Harper/Beka above, while I would be happy to support anyone going for this ship, I really see it as a sibling love.

AA very eloquently outlined why I think the Harper/Rommie dynamic is so interesting. Harper is a man who has always been fascinated with Andromeda and data streams and quantum physics and.... well, Rommie is probably one of the few who would ever be able to understand him.

Harper/Trance was an adorable pairing season 1-2. I'm not much of a fan of Trance beyond that, so it probably clouds my judgement with regards to pairing these two up - most of the crew begin using Harper as comic relief mid-season 3 and it just annoys me that all of a sudden the wide-eyed naive Trance that enjoyed spending time with Harper begins to openly criticize him in a mildly demeaning way.

Harper/Tyr is one of the more popular slash pairings, but I've not been intriqued. There are several endearing scenes between the two of them that point to a building respect (of sorts), but I can't imagine these characters having much in common in the long run.

Harper/Dylan would've been a better slash choice in the early seasons, IMO, but I'm only aware of a couple of folks who ever thought so.

Harper/Doyle, Doyle sometimes seems like a replacement for Rommie in Harper's eyes, but I also think he intended her to be more than a warship's avatar. It's almost like he meant for her to be a companion. Of course, that bring up the whole 'daddy-complex' thing, but let's not go there. I'm wondering if this pairing would work better than Harper/Rommie in the long run?

Harper/Rhade would be a much more interesting slash pairing than Harper/Tyr. Especially in season 5. But, once again, my recollection is a little vague so I'll have to see if my opinion changes once we get there in the re-watch. :)

I realize than in my Beka comment, I totally forgot to mention Beka/Doyle. I guess I had never really thought about it before.

harpersgirl

Post by harpersgirl » Fri May 14, 2010 2:56 am

Rommie/Harper will always be my favourite; but despite Harper's intentions, I 've always loved their relationship "as-is," the pure friendship of it.

I like Harper's relationships with most of the crew- Beka, Trance Tyr, Rhade... but that's probably because I have a soft spot for the Harper. :)
Harper's Girl 2.0

Love is our sandwich.