Website design help and suggestions request

Requesting artwork or have tutorials to share? Please do so here.
mizor
What is 2 + 5?: 7

Re: Website design help and suggestions request

Post by mizor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:55 am

Time to ask for site suggestions again. For those of yu who have looked at my site you probably noticed that it isn't very amenable to updating and adding new stories to. I've got several new stories to add and this might be a good time to redesign the site. Problem is that I don't have a clue as to what I want to do to make it easier to update. If any one wants to take a look at it and offer design suggestions I'll be happy to listen.

banshee
Site Admin
What is 2 + 5?: 0

Post by banshee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 am

Hey mizor!

When you say that you want to be able to update easier... well, I would suggest upgrading to a blogging script like Wordpress. Reasons:
  • It'll create your menu on the fly, so you won't need to update your navigation each time you update a chapter.
  • You can copy and paste your text directly into a text editor, no need to manually edit HTML tags.
  • If you code the wordpress template correctly (easy peasy, done it myself), each individual story can have it's own layout.
  • Updates can appear on the front page automatically.
  • Visitors can subscribe to your updates, and be notified straight away when you have updated your stories.

mizor

Post by mizor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 am

That's not quite what I meant by design suggestions banshee. I was thinking about using wordpress but I have no ideas on what I want to do. The question isn't what tools to use but what to do with the tools I choose to use. I'm a prophead not a poneytail

banshee
Site Admin
What is 2 + 5?: 0

Post by banshee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:04 am

Ah, sorry I misunderstood you. I know you were looking for design assistance, but you also said you wanted a better way to update the site. Since you made no mention of Wordpress, I had no idea you had already decided to upgrade - and therefore made the suggestion. Apologies.
I'm a prophead not a poneytail
What does this mean, by the way? I've never heard that expression before?

mizor

Post by mizor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:39 am

I suppose I should have made my self a bit clearer as to my problem.

Suits, propheads ( or propeller heads) and ponytails. Suits are the business guys,the ones in the suits. Propheads are the coders the geeks with glasses and the pocket protectors. Ponytails are the artists and designers. Supposedly prophead comes from the old beanies with the propellers on them that the geeky kids of my era wore while ponytails refers to the long haired (male) artist cliche. All of which may give you an idea of how old I am.